Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to throw in: throw in the towel
throw (something) in
To add something to a deal or offer, in addition to everything else or to what was already stated or expected. I know they're willing to throw extra vacation days in, but what I really need is a higher salary. Wow, they threw in a free gift with purchase!
1. To add, insert, or introduce something during the course of something. A noun or pronoun can be used between "throw" and "in." There were a few good ideas thrown in at the end, but otherwise the movie was a total waste of time. The teacher always tries to throw pop-culture references in to try and make his lectures more interesting, but it's just tacky.
2. To add or offer something extra as a free bonus or incentive. A noun or pronoun can be used between "throw" and "in." We're throwing in free concert tickets to our first 100 customers. I told them I wasn't going to renew my contract, so they said they'd throw a free phone upgrade in if I stayed with them.
1. Insert or introduce into the course of something, interject, as in He always threw in a few jokes to lighten the atmosphere. [c. 1700]
2. Add something with no additional charge, as in The salesman said he'd throw in the carpet padding. [Second half of 1600s]
3. throw in with. Enter into association with, as in His friends warned him against throwing in with the notorious street gang. [Second half of 1800s] Also see cast one's lot and the subsequent idioms beginning with throw in.
1. To insert or introduce something into the course of an activity, performance, or conversation: The lawyer threw in a few snide comments while we conversed. The team threw in a new goalie halfway through the game. Let me throw my two cents in.
2. To add some extra thing or amount with no additional charge: If you order within the next 15 minutes, we'll throw in a book bag. The car salesperson threw the snow tires in for free.
3. To engage something, such as a clutch: He threw in the clutch and drove off. Be careful not to stall when you throw it in.