(one) won't bite (someone)(redirected from they will not bite)
(one) won't bite (someone)
Someone has no reason to be afraid of one; someone should not be shy about approaching or talking to one. Don't worry, child, I won't bite. I just wanted to give you a message to pass along to your father. This is your Uncle Jack, son. Well, go on and shake his hand, he won't bite you.
Is not threatening or does not need to be a subject of caution; is friendly. The phrase is typically used as an assurance to a child who is wary of something or someone. You can ask Mr. Caruthers. Go on, he won't bite. Hi there, what's your name? Don't worry, I won't bite!
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
I, etc. won’t ˈbite (you)(humorous) used to tell somebody that they do not need to be afraid of somebody: You should tell your teacher that you don’t understand — she won’t bite you!
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017
- (one) won't eat (someone)
- (one) is not going to bite (someone)
- (one) is not going to eat (someone)
- accompany (one) on a/(one's) journey
- accompany on a journey
- (one's) heart goes out to (someone)
- bring (someone or something) into contact with (someone or something)
- a stranger to (someone or something)
- be out of (one's) league
- be out of somebody's league