(one) never would have guessed(redirected from they never would have guessed)
(one) never would have guessed
One never thought that something could possibly be the case. Often used sarcastically to point out something one thinks is very obvious. I never would have guessed Mary could do something so unscrupulous. So he agreed to move to Paris for a job that's better paying, more interesting, and more satisfactory? Huh, never would've guessed! That's Gina with the pink hair? Wow, I never would have guessed—she looks so totally different.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
never would have guessed
1. never would have thought something to be the case. (Not used in other tenses.) He was the one who did it? I never would have guessed. I never would have guessed that he wanted the job. He kept it a very good secret.
2. knew it all the time because it was so obvious. (Sarcastic. Not used in other tenses.) I never would have guessed that he wanted the job. He only begged and begged for it. Now she wants to go back home? I never would have guessed! She has been homesick for days.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
- (one) could use (something)
- (one's) heart is set on (something)
- (one) doesn't give a rip (about something)
- (one) doesn't give a hoot (about something)
- (one) won't hear of (something)
- (one) could stand (something)
- (I) wouldn't (do something) if I were you
- a whole different animal
- a whole different ball of wax
- a whole different beast