weak underbelly(redirected from the weak underbelly of something)
The part or portion of some group, organization, society, etc., that is the most vulnerable to attack, disruption, or failure. A reference to the underside of animals that have protective shells or spines on the back portions of their bodies. This crisis has exposed the weak underbelly of our government, which has clearly failed to put in place vital infrastructures at every level. The recent surge in espionage claims is revealing something of a weak underbelly of what has always been a delicate truce between the two countries.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
- soft underbelly
- (Someone or something) called, they want their (something) back!
- a bad apple spoils the (whole) barrel
- rotten apple spoils the barrel
- a rotten apple spoils the (whole) barrel
- a rotten apple spoils the (whole) bunch
- a rotten apple spoils the (whole) bushel
- a grand old man of
- one rotten apple spoils the (whole) bunch