1. An informal term for any disease in animals, especially horses or cattle, typified by a lack of coordination and stability while standing or walking. It looked like the poor horse might've been coming down with the staggers. It's probably a magnesium deficiency that's causing the staggers in your livestock.
2. slang Any state or instance of staggering or unsteadiness on one's feet. I got a blow to the head during the accident, and it gave me the staggers for the rest of the day. He always gets the staggers when he's had one too many drinks. At the top of the mountain I could see that Janet was getting the staggers from the altitude, so I told her to sit down and have a rest.
3. slang Any of the various neurological problems caused by decompression sickness (a condition known colloquially as "the bends"). When the diver first showed signs of the staggers, we thought it was just an inner ear infection, but it turns out he had the bends and died a few days later.
1. n. liquor. She poured herself a huge glass of staggers and mumbled something about cough medicine.
2. and the staggers n. drunkenness; the delirium tremens. (Always with the in this sense.) He seems to have a little touch of the staggers.