short run

(redirected from the short run)

short run

1. adjective (typically hyphenated and used before a noun) Of, covering, or limited to only a short or immediate period of time. This sort of short-run planning is fine while the company is being set up, but you need to start setting some long-term goals and strategies.
2. noun A short length of time; an immediate or limited period in which to act or effect change. Congress approved funding to cover the country's debt for the short run, but a more permanent solution will have to be reached before the December 31 deadline. This minimum wage increase may have a negative effects on businesses in the short run, but they will be dwarfed by the benefits down the line.
See also: run, short

short run

see under long run.
See also: run, short
References in classic literature ?
When the aisles and platforms were packed by the hilarious crowd, the train pulled out for the short run from the suburbs into Oakland.
In the short run capital investments in road infrastructure are a boost to the construction industry and all the related industries.
Growing evidence from both experimental and field studies supports the view that people's behavior is often time-inconsistent, that is, people are more impatient in the short run than in the long run (Laibson 1997; Phelps and Poliak 1968).
We find that the extent to which firms absorb exchange rate fluctuations in the short run is significantly related to both invoice currency choice and exporter characteristics when these are analysed separately.
"However, for our company making specialized products, the narrow width printing onto roll to roll media using the 4900 produces huge improvements in productivity and quality while allowing us to enter the short run label market.
The author estimates that 36 percent of these costs can be considered fixed costs in the short run. The remaining 64 percent, or $7,967 per student, are found to be variable costs, or costs that change with student enrollment.
However, a lower deficit must lead over time to a lower debt ratio, even if this ratio worsens in the short run. After all, most models used to assess the economic impact of fiscal policy imply that a cut in expenditure, for example, lowers demand in the short run, but that the economy recovers after a while to its previous level.
Cross-sectional data, both within and across particular countries, support decreasing marginal utility of income--in the short run there is a positive, but diminishing, relationship between income and happiness.
In the short run, it will permit better and more accurate accounting for patient services rendered--real savings, although less than the system cost.
economy continues to be optimistic, at least in the short run. "We expect overall national growth to continue in the 2 percent to 3 percent range for the second half of 2010," said a Beacon's spokesman.
As suggested in the financial crisis literature, financial liberalization tends to cause financial fragility and hence financial crises and recessions in the short run. For example, Demirguc-Kunt and Detragiache (1998b) claim that financial liberalization erodes banks' monopolistic power, suggesting an increased moral hazard to banks with a low franchise value, thereby tending to make banking crises more likely.
Complementing those numerical comparisons with discussion of the rationale for producers' output adjustments from non-equilibrium output levels shows students why GDP moves naturally towards $9000 billion in the short run. Discussion then typically turns towards what happens in the event of a demand shock.
Different researchers conducted various studies to estimate the short run and long run income and price elasticities of electricity demand.
After two long runs produced only five cowboys with a score, Helmuth earned a career-best ride in the short run, scoring a weekend-high of 94.
The fleet size is fixed in the short run and determines the volume of shipping at which marginal cost (cost per additional TEU (twenty-foot equivalent units) container) will be minimized.