Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
1. noun, vulgar slang The testicles. I kicked the mugger in the nuts and grabbed my wallet back off him. He grabbed his nuts in a lewd gesture to the crowd.
2. noun, vulgar slang Confidence, self-esteem, motivation, etc. Often but not always said of a man. You've got nuts standing up to them like that, man. He doesn't have the nuts to try a plan that bold.
3. adjective Crazy; manic or eccentric; out of one's mind. Trying to figure out what's wrong with this computer is driving me nuts! You're totally nuts if you think they'll let you get away with it.
4. interjection An exclamation of dismay, frustration, or exasperation. Ah, nuts! I left my lunchbox on the school bus! A: "Nuts!" B: "What's wrong?" A: "The screwdriver slipped out of my hand and left a big gash in the wall."
slang In poker, the winning or best possible hand of cards. I knew I had the nuts, so I decided to slow play until the river.
See also: nuts
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. mod. crazy. (There is no difference in pronunciation between nuts and nutz.) That whole idea is just nuts!
2. exclam. No!; I don’t believe you!; I don’t care! (Usually Nuts!) Oh, nuts! I forgot my wallet.
3. n. the testicles. (Usually objectionable.) Chuck got kneed in the nuts in a football game.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.