Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
Related to the man: Stick It To The Man
1. informal A term of address for another person, especially a friend or acquaintance. Usually but not solely used in reference to a male. Hey, man, good to see you!
2. interjection, informal Used to express an intense emotional reaction, whether good or bad. Man, the first Indiana Jones is such a great movie! I just heard about the layoffs at your company! Man, what a bummer.
1. slang The established order or body of authority, especially the government. Primarily heard in US. I've been getting small tax refunds by mistake for years, but I've never said anything to them about it. It's my own little way of sticking it to the man. Of course you don't understand—you work for the man now. You're just a cog in the whole corrupt machine, dude.
2. slang The police as an entity. Primarily heard in US. In this town, you're more likely to get shot by the man than any criminal on the streets.
See also: man
the man/woman/thing of (one's) dreams
The ideal person or thing that one has been hoping or longing for. When discussing a person, it refers to an ideal romantic partner. I never expected to get married again, but meeting the man of my dreams completely changed my mind. I can't turn down this offer—it's the job of my dreams!
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. n. one’s friend; a buddy, not necessarily male. (Also a term of address.) Look, man, take it easy!
2. exclam. Wow! (Usually Man!) Man, what a bundle!
3. and the man n. a drug seller or pusher. (Drugs.) The man won’t give you credit, you numskull!
4. and the man n. a police officer; the police; the establishment. You better check with the man before you get seen with me.
See also: man
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.