heavyweight(redirected from the heavyweight)
1. noun The heaviest weight class of boxers. A: "In professional boxing, how much does a heavyweight actually have to weigh?" B: "More than 175 pounds."
2. noun, slang A very important person. I'm not a heavyweight on those kinds of issues—you should really ask Stewart about it.
3. adjective Participating in the heaviest weight-class of boxers. A: "How much does a professional heavyweight boxer actually have to weigh?" B: "More than 175 pounds."
4. adjective, slang Very important. I'm not a heavyweight person on those kinds of issues, so you should really ask your boss about it.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. n. an important person; a successful person; a leader. Mr. Wilson is a heavyweight in local government.
2. mod. important; successful. Vince is one of the heavyweight operators in this business.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.