fuck up(redirected from the fuck-up)
1. verb, rude slang To mess up or ruin something. The threat of a hurricane really fucked up our vacation plans! Boy, you really fucked up this engine. When was the last time you got your oil changed?
2. verb, rude slang To fail or malfunction. The printer fucked up last night so I still haven't printed my report.
3. verb, rude slang To be intoxicated. You guys were really fucked up at the party last night. Do you remember anything at all?
4. adjective, rude slang Messed up or ruined. Boy, this engine is really fucked up. When was the last time you got your oil changed?
5. noun, rude slang One who is apt to mess up or ruin something. The phrase is usually hyphenated in this usage. Of course he ruined his car engine in a month —he's a real fuck-up.
6. noun, rude slang A complete mess. The phrase is usually hyphenated in this usage. This drawer is a total fuck-up—why are hairspray, batteries, and spoons all in here together?
1. Ruin, botch, spoil. For example, Don't tell me you're going to fuck up again. It is also put as be fucked up, meaning "be ruined or spoiled," as in This entire project is fucked up. This vulgar usage dates from the early 1900s but did not become widespread until about 1940.
2. Act carelessly or foolishly, mess up, as in I'm sorry, I really fucked up when I invited them. [ Vulgar slang; c. 1940]
3. Break down, fail, as in If the flash mechanism fucks up again, I won't get a picture. [ Vulgar slang; c. 1980]
4. be fucked up. Be very confused or mentally ill; also, intoxicated. For example, He was so fucked up they had to hospitalize him, or What a party-I sure got fucked up. [ Vulgar slang; 1940s]
in. to mess up; to fail. (Taboo. Usually objectionable.) Don’t fuck up this time or you’re fired.
mod. messed up; confused; ruined. (Taboo. Usually objectionable.) This whole project is so fucked up, it’ll take months to straighten out.
1. n. a mess; a hopeless hodgepodge. (Taboo. Usually objectionable.) When you went home yesterday, you left behind a first-class fuck-up. Now you can clean it up.
2. n. someone who does everything wrong; someone who messes everything up. (Taboo. Usually objectionable.) Poor Willie is such a fuck-up. What a mess he has made.