fruitcake(redirected from the fruitcake)
be (as) nutty as a fruitcake
slang To be crazy and/or wacky. Usually used humorously. Don't listen to a word he says, he's as nutty as a fruitcake! You're nutty as a fruitcake if you think that plan will work.
(as) nutty as a fruitcake
Crazy or wacky. Usually used humorously. The kids are always nutty as fruitcakes when they've had something sugary to eat. My Aunt Jeannie has always been nutty as a fruitcake.
nuttier than a fruitcake
Crazy or wacky. Usually used humorously. The kids are always nuttier than fruitcakes when they've had something sugary to eat. My Aunt Jeannie has always been nuttier than a fruitcake.
1. A spice cake containing fruit and nuts. Often used as a humorous reference because it is often deemed unappetizing. Just give me a minute to cut up the fruitcake. Need a doorstop? Try this fruitcake!
2. slang Someone who is odd or wacky. What conspiracy theory is that old fruitcake blathering on about now?
3. offensive slang A derogatory term for a male who is homosexual or otherwise non-heterosexual or considered effeminate.
*nutty as a fruitcakeand nuttier than a fruitcake
crazy. (*Also: as ~.) Don't pay any attention to John; he's nutty as a fruitcake. Mary's schemes for making money are nuttier than a fruitcake.
nutty as a fruitcake
Crazy, idiotic, as in Mary's nutty as a fruitcake if she thinks she can get away with that. The adjective nutty meaning "insane" was first recorded in 1821; the similarity to fruitcake, which literally contains nuts as well as fruit, was first recorded in 1935.
nutty as a fruitcakeBRITISH, INFORMAL
If someone is as nutty as a fruitcake, they are crazy. The man is a charmer — intense, funny, and nutty as a fruitcake. Note: `Nutty' or `nuts' is an informal word for mad. Nutty can also mean containing a lot of nuts in the way that a fruitcake often does.
nutty as a fruitcakecompletely crazy. informal
Nutty meaning ‘mad or crazy’ dates from the late 19th century, and this phrase, punning on the sense of ‘full of nuts’, from the 1930s. Fruitcake is also used on its own to mean ‘a crazy or eccentric person’.
(as) nutty as a ˈfruitcake(informal, humorous) (of a person) completely crazy: He’s as nutty as a fruitcake. Do you know what he did yesterday? He had lunch outside in the pouring rain.
(as) nutty as a fruitcake
mod. very silly or stupid. The whole idea is as nutty as a fruitcake.
nutty as a fruitcakeverb
1. n. a silly-acting person. (Also a term of address.) You can be such a silly fruitcake sometimes.
2. n. a male homosexual. (Rude and derogatory. An elaboration of fruit.) We went into this bar, but it was filled with fruitcakes, so we left.
3. and fruit loop n. a foolish oaf. (Someone who is as nutty as a fruitcake. Fruit loop is borrowed from the cereal of the same [protected trade] name.) What a fruitcake! Doesn’t even know where his head is at. Out of the way, fruit loop.