fruit(redirected from the fruit)
1. slang Someone who is odd or wacky. What conspiracy theory is that old fruit blathering on about now?
2. slang Someone who can be easily deceived or swindled. That guy's definitely a fruit—you start talking to him, and I'll pick his pocket.
3. offensive slang A derogatory term for a male who is homosexual or otherwise non-heterosexual or considered effeminate.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. n. a strange person. (Now overwhelmed by sense 2) Ted is such a fruit.
2. and fruiter n. a homosexual male. (Usually rude and derogatory.) Bob thinks that you-know-who is a fruit.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
- a tree is known by its fruit(, a man by his deeds)
- bag of fruit
- bear fruit
- forbidden fruit
- forbidden fruit is the sweetest
- fruit loop
- fruit of (one's) loins
- fruit of the poisonous tree
- fruit of the union
- fruit salad
- fruit up
- fruits of labor
- he that would eat the fruit must climb the tree
- hen fruit
- low-hanging fruit
- stolen fruit is (the) sweetest
- stolen fruit is sweet
- stolen fruit is sweetest
- the bitter fruits
- the fruit of (one's) labors
- the fruit of something
- the fruit(s) of (something)
- the fruits of (one's) labor
- the weed of crime bears bitter fruit
- tree is known by its fruit