buster(redirected from the buster)
Someone who deliberately gives others a hard time, is very demanding, or is insulting. Can be considered vulgar slang. John's boss, Mark, is quite the ball-breaker. After completing the project ahead of time and under budget, Mark ordered John to work through the weekend to finish up other meaningless tasks.
1. Someone who deliberately gives others a hard time, is very demanding, or is insulting. Can be considered vulgar. John's boss, Mark, is quite the ball-buster. After completing the project ahead of time and under budget, Mark ordered John to work through the weekend to finish up other meaningless tasks.
2. A particularly challenging or strenuous task. Geez, that problem was a real ball-buster—I can't believe we finally came up with a solution.
3. A woman that men deem intimidating or threatening. Oh, the guys just think Nora's a ball-buster because she's not afraid of them.
1. noun Something, typically a movie or book, that is very popular and makes a large profit. The movie looked so stupid in the previews, but it turned out to be a real blockbuster.
2. adjective Describing something that experiences such popularity and financial success. Our studio stands to profit from the release of another blockbuster film this summer.
1. A generic term of address for a male. Listen buster, if you keep starting trouble like this, the police are going to arrest you sooner than later.
2. slang A pejorative term for someone regarded as falsely or overly confident and aggressive. That kid's a buster, he's no threat to us.
1. Cheap liquor or alcohol. You must really want to get drunk tonight if you keep drinking that conk-buster—it's disgusting!
2. A challenging situation or problem. Well, that's a conk-buster—I don't know if a mathematician could even solve it!
1. slang An intensely painful headache or migraine. It started as just a twinge of pain in my forehead, but by the end of the day I was in the throes a full-blown skull-buster. It was a great night, but I woke up with a real skull-buster and the worst nausea of my life.
2. slang Something very confusing, complicated, or puzzling. A: "There just doesn't seem to be a way we can reach our quotas without going over budget." B: "It's a skull-buster, to be sure." I love trying to figure out the crosswords in the newspaper each Sunday. Today's is a total skull-buster!
Successful. Oh, presenting the case to the students was gangbusters—they got totally engrossed in trying to the solve the mystery.
See also: gangbuster
1. n. a difficult task; a difficult or trying situation requiring extremely hard work or effort. (Usually objectionable.) That whole construction job was a real ball-breaker. Why should moving furniture end up being such a ball-buster?
2. n. a hard taskmaster; a hard-to-please boss. (Usually objectionable.) Tom gets a day’s work for a day’s pay out of his men, but he’s no ball-breaker. My boss is a ball-buster, but he pays well.
3. n. a female who is threatening to males. (Usually objectionable.) Mrs. Samuels has a terrible reputation as a “ball-breaker.” Wholly deserved, I might add.
1. n. something enormous, especially a movie or book that attracts a large audience. That blockbuster should make about twenty million.
2. mod. exciting and successful. With a blockbuster novel like that in print, you should make quite a bundle.
conk-busterand konk-buster (ˈkɔŋkbəstɚ)
1. n. inferior liquor. Jed kept a jar of conk-buster under his bed against night sweats.
2. n. a hard-to-answer question or problem. Man, what you’re asking is really a conk-buster.
n. a wild, busy, and successful event. (see also like gangbusters.) Our party was truly gangbusters, for sure.
See also: gangbuster
1. n. a rough ride; a rough road. This road is a kidney-buster. I wish they’d fix it.
2. n. an uncomfortable or poorly built seat in a vehicle. This kidney-buster is going to ruin my back.
1. n. a difficult course in school or college. The course was a skull-buster, and I had to drop it.
2. n. a police officer. (Refers to the striking of skulls.) Two skull-poppers came up and started asking questions.