big girl(redirected from the big-girl)
1. noun A female who is no longer a baby or very young child, depending on how old the speaker is. Mommy says I'm a big girl now, since I pee in the potty. I'm a big girl now, Mom. Can't I at least stay out till 10?
2. noun A female who is overweight or obese. Can be derogatory depending on how it is used. A: "Do you honestly think a big girl like her could fit into this dress?" B: "Wow, rude!" What can I say, I think big girls are very attractive. Curves get me every time.
3. noun A female who is especially tall. Can be derogatory depending on how it is used. A: "Yikes, she's a big girl." B: "You're just jealous, short-stuff." A: "See that big girl over there? She's gorgeous!" B: "You always do like it when a girl towers over you."
4. noun A derogatory phrase used in jest to insult a man who other men believe is behaving in a weak or effeminate manner. Primarily heard in UK, Australia. "Quit being such a big girl walking around with your hair in a bun like that," yelled the old man to the young hipster.
5. adjective Describing a fictional item, the use or wearing of which would give one the ability to behave as a mature adult woman should. Usually used pejoratively to imply that one is not behaving in such a way. The phrase is typically hyphenated and used before a noun. Come on, it's time to put on your big-girl pants and ask the boss for a raise. I know you're not a morning person, but put on your big-girl panties and go to work.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.