tear (someone or something) to pieces(redirected from tear me to pieces)
tear (someone or something) to pieces
1. To criticize, upbraid, or condemn someone or something severely or thoroughly. A: "Have you heard anything about this movie we're about to see?" B: "Well, one reviewer tore it to pieces, but I still think it's going to be great." I hear John's bosses tore him to pieces at his annual performance review.
2. To cause great damage, disorder, or ruin to someone or something. Enjoy the tranquility and order of your house now, because soon your kids will start tearing the place to pieces. Sarah's very first opponent in amateur boxing tore her to pieces, but that's how it goes for most novice fighters.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
tear someone or something to piecesand tear someone or something to shreds
to rip or shred someone or something into bits. Careful of that dog. It will tear you to pieces! The dog tore the newspaper to pieces. It tore my shoes to shreds.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
tear somebody/something to ˈpieces/ˈshredscriticize somebody/something; completely destroy something: The press tore the Government’s economic plans to shreds. ♢ The Prime Minister tore his opponents’ arguments to pieces. OPPOSITE: praise somebody/something to the skies
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017
- rip (someone or something) to shreds
- tear (someone or something) to shreds
- tear somebody/something to pieces/shreds
- tear someone or something to shreds
- tear to pieces
- rebuke (someone or something) for (doing) (something)
- rebuke for
- reprimand (someone or something) for (doing) (something)
- reprimand for