talk over(redirected from talking over him)
1. To discuss something thoroughly or exhaustively. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "talk" and "over." We talked the deadline over during the meeting. John's coming by to talk over the problems he's been having with his girlfriend. Let me talk this over with my wife before I give you an answer.
2. To coax, convince, or persuade someone to adopt one's position, opinion, or point of view. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "talk" and "over." It took some time, but we managed to talk the bosses over to our idea. Janet was reluctant to join our club, but I think we talked her over. Were you able to talk over Bill, or does he still need convincing?
3. To speak audibly and understandably while some other noise is being made. I wish I hadn't taken her to the club for our date—we spent the whole evening trying to talk over the music. I had to talk over the sound of the machines, so I hope he understood my instructions.
4. To silence or drown out someone by talking more loudly, forcefully, and persistently than them. Every time I tried to raise a concern, the boss just talked right over me. He talked over his opponent throughout the debate.
talk someone or something over (with someone)
to discuss someone or something with someone. I want to talk John over with my staff. I will talk over this matter with Sam.
talk something over
to discuss something. Come into my office so we can talk this over. We talked over the plans for nearly an hour.
talk over something
to use something, such as a microphone, intercom, or telephone, to talk. I don't mind talking over the telephone. I will talk to Jeff over the intercom and see what he thinks about the idea.
1. Discuss thoroughly, as in Let's talk over the entire plan and see if we discover any flaws. [First half of 1700s]
2. Win someone over by persuasion, as in We talked them over to our point of view. [First half of 1800s] Also see talk around.
1. To consider something thoroughly in conversation; discuss something: We talked the matter over. The panel talked over the proposal.
2. To succeed in gaining the favor or support of someone by persuasion: We talked them over to our side.
3. To speak and be heard amid some loud noise: It is impossible to talk over the noise of the machines.