talk through(redirected from talked through them)
1. To discuss something thoroughly or exhaustively. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "talk" and "through." We talked the problem through during the meeting and figured out an acceptable solution. John's coming by to talk through the problems he's been having with his girlfriend. Let me talk this through with my wife before I give you an answer.
2. To provide thorough guidance or advice to someone about how to do something. In this usage, a noun or pronoun is used between "talk" and "through." She talked me through the security override process. We're going to talk you through the landing procedure over the radio.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
talk something through
1. to discuss something in detail. Let's talk the issue through and get it decided.
2. to get something approved by talking convincingly. The board was reluctant to approve it, but I talked it through. We will talk through this matter in the board meeting.
1. To discuss something thoroughly in order to come to some resolution: At the meeting, the employees talked through the issues and came up with a solution. We rarely fight, because we talk our problems through.
2. To guide someone through some process: The fire chief talked us through the exit procedure step by step.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.