take for a ride
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
take someone for a ride
1. Lit. to carry someone about, usually for recreation, in a car, plane, boat, etc. Would you take us for a ride in your boat? Please take me for a ride in your new car.
2. Fig. to deceive someone. You really took those people for a ride. They really believed you. I was taken fora ride on this matter.
3. Fig. to take away and murder a person. (Underworld.) Mr. Big told Mike to take Fred for a ride. The gang leader had said he thought Mike had better take Walter for a ride.
take for a rideSlang
1. To deceive or swindle: an author who tried to take his publisher for a ride.
2. To transport to a place and kill.