switch around(redirected from switching him around)
1. To exchange one's place or position (with someone or something else). You're a little bit taller than me, so let's switch around for the photo. The two jets switched around so that the stealth bomber was in the lead.
2. To exchange the place or position of two people or things. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "switch" and "around." The teacher switched the students around so that the taller one was in back. I think you need to switch around these two cables, and then the TV should work.
3. To alter, reorder, or rearrange something. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "switch" and "around." Make sure you switch your fighting style around throughout the match in order to keep your opponent off-guard. We're going to try switching around the layout of the office this weekend—it feels too cluttered and disorganized the way it is now.
switch someone or something around
to change, swing, or turn someone or something. I was prepared for a late flight out of Miami, but they switched me around at the last minute. They switched around my flights.
to change, swing, or turn around. The horse switched around and ran the other way. I switched around and sat looking the other way for a while.
1. To alter something by shifting its components: The baseball manager switched the lineup around so that the best batter would go first. The decorator switched around the room to make it feel less cramped.
2. To swap someone or something with another: The decorator switched the chair around with the bookcase. The manager switched the two players around.