sweep aside(redirected from swept him aside)
1. To push someone or something to one side, especially in an indifferent or disdainful manner. A noun or pronoun can be used between "sweep" and "aside." The bouncer swept us aside so the celebrity and her husband could come through the door. He along the path sweeping aside leaves and debris.
2. To belittle or disregard someone or something as being unimportant or untrue. A noun or pronoun can be used between "sweep" and "aside." The president has continually swept aside claims of fiscal impropriety by members of his administration. I kept trying to raise these problems with the management team, but they swept me aside every time I spoke up.
3. To remove someone or something from competition, consideration, or a position of authority. A noun or pronoun can be used between "sweep" and "aside." The military junta stormed the capital and swept aside parliament in a matter of hours. It was pretty remarkable to watch such an underdog team sweep the former champions aside so soundly.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
sweep someone or something aside
to push or brush someone or something aside. The guards swept the spectators aside as the king's coach approached. They swept aside the spectators.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. To displace someone or something from consideration, contention, or relevance: Our team continues to sweep aside all competition as we head toward the finals. You can get things done in this city if you have enough money to sweep the law aside.
2. To refuse to accept or recognize something; reject something: The chief financial officer swept aside allegations of fraud. I considered the thought of quitting my job for a moment, but I quickly swept it aside.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.