swell up(redirected from swelled up)
1. To become large, inflated, or bulging. The girl's arm swelled up where the bee had stung her. The balloon began swelling up with hot air.
2. To become full to capacity (with some emotion). I swelled up with pride after the boss complimented my work. It's so nice seeing all those students swelling up with happiness as they cross the stage and receive their diplomas.
to enlarge; to inflate; to bulge out. I struck my thumb with a hammer and it swelled up something awful.
1. To become swollen: I put ice on my injured ankle so that it wouldn't swell up.
2. To become filled, as with pride, arrogance, or anger: The new parents swelled up with pride.
3. To rise or surge from an inner source: After I was fired unjustly, rage swelled up within me.