sweat off(redirected from sweat something off)
1. To shed excess weight by doing strenuous activities that produce sweat. A noun or pronoun can be used between "sweat" and "off." I have to sweat off a couple more pounds before tomorrow's weigh-in. I never really watch the calories in my meals because I know I'll sweat it off in my workout the next day.
2. To shed something from the surface of one's skin due to the excretion of sweat. A noun or pronoun can be used between "sweat" and "off." The costume was so hot that I kept sweating off the makeup on my face. They'll just sweat the dirt off running around like that.
3. To expel a harmful substance through one's sweat. A noun or pronoun can be used between "sweat" and "off." I'm going to try sweating off some of that alcohol with a long run. You should spend some time in the sauna. It's a great way to sweat toxins off.
sweat something off
Fig. to get rid of excess fat or weight by exercising or taking a steam bath to produce sweat. I think I can sweat a lot of this fat off. Tony tried to sweat off some of his excess weight.
1. To cause something to be washed off the skin by sweating: The actor sweated off his makeup while acting under the hot lights. The children had sweated the sunscreen lotion off, so I made them reapply it.
2. To shed some weight by sweating: I fell asleep in the sauna, and I feel like I sweated off five pounds. Eat dessert tonight, and then sweat it off at the gym tomorrow.