swank(redirected from swanks)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus.
1. noun Class, elegance, style, or flair. Wow, they really cranked up the swank when they were designing this place!
2. noun Pretentious showiness; a swaggering, ostentatious manner. Tom's been putting on a lot of swank ever since he got his promotion. The swank put on by some of these high-profile actors is unbearable.
3. adjective Particularly classy, elegant, stylish, or fashionable. Wow, what a swank apartment you have! I've gotta say, that was one swank suit he was wearing!
4. adjective Pretentious, ostentatious, or swaggering in one's movement or manner. He had become enormously wealthy and successful after starting up his own company, but he never acted too swank to hang out with the friends he grew up with. I don't take seriously the criticism of swank writers who are more concerned with their own wordplay than the content of their criticism.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. n. class; visible quality. This place has swank. I like it.
2. n. swag. Where’d he hide the swank?
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.