Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to swallow: tree swallow
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
slang To believe or accept (something) without question or doubt. No, I'm not worried. The boss totally trusts me, and he'll swallow any old story I cook up. I can't believe that cop swallowed our alibi!
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. n. a puff of cigarette smoke. He took just one swallow and started coughing.
2. tv. to believe or accept something. (see also eat something up.) Nobody’s gonna swallow that nonsense.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
- a bitter pill to swallow
- a hard pill to swallow
- a tough pill to swallow
- bitter pill (to swallow)
- bitter pill to swallow
- cat that swallowed the canary, (look) like the
- easy to swallow
- fall for something hook, line and sinker
- hard to believe
- hard to swallow
- have swallowed a dictionary
- look like the cat that ate the canary
- look like the cat that swallowed the canary
- one swallow does not a spring make
- one swallow does not a summer make
- one swallow does not make a spring
- one swallow does not make a summer
- one swallow doesn't make a summer
- strain at a gnat and swallow a camel
- strain at gnats and swallow camels
- swallow (one's) pride
- swallow (one's) words
- swallow (something) hook, line, and sinker
- swallow a bitter pill
- swallow down
- swallow hook, line, and sinker
- swallow one's pride
- swallow one's pride, to
- swallow one's words
- swallow pride
- swallow the anchor
- swallow the bait
- swallow the dictionary
- swallow up
- swallow your pride
- sword swallowing
- the cat that swallowed the canary
- wish the ground would open up and swallow (one)
- wish the ground would swallow (one) up