Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. noun The organ or structure on certain animals that is used to cling to objects through suction or withdraw nourishment by sucking. I don't know why, but the suckers on the arms of octopi give me the absolute creeps. The leeches drink blood through their suckers.
2. noun, slang Someone who is extremely foolish, gullible, and easily duped. The used car salesman could see a sucker coming from a mile away. All we need is some sucker who's willing to invest his money in our bogus company.
3. noun, slang Someone who tends to be easily entertained by or attracted to a particular type of person or thing. What can I say—I'm a sucker for romantic comedies! I've always been a sucker for guys with six packs.
4. noun, slang A generalized term of reference for any unspecified person or thing. Usually used to imply some intense, impressive, or remarkable trait. You see this computer chip? This little sucker's worth more money than your whole house! I don't know how we're going to haul that sucker up the stairs. The guy we hired for protection is a tough sucker, so I'm not too worried about anyone trying to hassle us.
5. verb, slang To trick, dupe, or con (someone); to make a sucker out of (someone). Usually followed by "into something." I can't believe they suckered me into investing my life savings! The sleazy car dealership uses attractive, smooth-talking young women to sucker you into buying more expensive models of cars.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. and sucka n. a dupe; an easy mark. See if you can sell that sucker the Brooklyn Bridge.
2. tv. to trick or victimize someone. That crook suckered me. I should have known better.
3. n. an annoying person. (Also a rude term of address.) I am really sick of that sucker hanging around here.
4. n. a gadget; a thing. Now, you put this little sucker right into this slot.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.