submit to(redirected from submitting it to)
1. To surrender to the power or influence of someone or something. Any citizen who does not submit to the government's doctrines will be incarcerated immediately. I tried going on a diet, but I ended up submitting to my cravings for chocolate after just a few days.
2. To agree to some experience or process; to allow oneself to undergo something. As a sign of good faith to the investigators, he submitted to the police interview without protest. All applicants must submit to a thorough background check and drug screening to be considered for the position.
3. To present something for inspection, evaluation, or consideration by some person, group, or organization. In this usage, a noun or pronoun is used between "submit" and "to." Be sure to submit your applications to the board before Friday if you want to be considered for the grant. I hope you don't mind, but I submitted your story to a national literary competition, because I think you have a real shot at winning!
4. To expose or subject someone or something to some process, condition, or effects. In this usage, a noun or pronoun is used between "submit" and "to." We have seen in our clinical trials that submitting the tissue to this new kind of proton radiation kills the cancerous cells while damaging a minimal amount of healthy ones. I just don't want to submit him to any bullying based on the way he talks.
submit someone or something to something
to allow someone or something to undergo the effects of something. I hate to submit you to all this questioning, but that is the way we do things here. Don't submit your car to a lot of misuse.
submit to something
to surrender to something; to agree to something. He submitted to the cross-examination. She will probably refuse to submit to surgery.
1. To give in to some authority, power, or desire of another: The children are at a rebellious age and refuse to submit to the wishes of their parents.
2. To allow oneself to be subjected to something: The pledges submitted to the humiliation of the fraternity's hazing rituals.