1. To shove, cram, or pack someone or something inside of something else, especially in a rough or careless manner. A noun or pronoun can be used between "stuff" and "in." I wish you wouldn't just stuff in your clothes like that. They're going to get all wrinkled in your suitcase if you do that! She stuffed all his belongings in a cardboard box and set it out on the curb. The street performer is able to stuff himself in a tiny box.
2. To force someone to go or stay in some cramped or confined thing or place. A noun or pronoun can be used between "stuff" and "in." They need to stop stuffing in prisoners like that or the overpopulation of the prison will turn into a real crisis. This whole event was just so poorly organized. They stuffed all of us in a tiny classroom with no food, water, or air conditioning and expect us to stay here for 6 straight hours!
3. To compel or persuade someone to eat or ingest a large amount of something. A noun or pronoun is used between "stuff" and "in." My grandmother always stuffs food in me whenever I come to visit. I hate how doctors try to stuff antibiotics in you for even the tiniest of colds.
4. To eat a large amount of food very quickly or voraciously. A noun or pronoun can be used between "stuff" and "in." The man just sat at the table stuffing in as much food as he could. You've got to stop stuffing your food in your face like that—it's going to give you indigestion!
5. To manage to fit or condense a lot of some ingredient or substance into something. A noun or pronoun can be used between "stuff" and "in." Do you know how much butter they stuff in those croissants? I try to stuff in as many vegetables as I can when I make pasta sauce.
6. To manage to fit or condense a lot of content into something. A noun or pronoun can be used between "stuff" and "in." Wow, they sure stuffed a ton of information in that conference. I hope I can remember it all! The director is known for stuffing in every cliché imaginable whenever he makes any sort of genre film like that.
See also: stuff
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.