stroke(redirected from stroked)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
slang Of, describing, or referring to pornography. Primarily heard in US. They keep their stroke magazines covered up with a black tarp on a rack at the back of the shop. They argued that these so-called stroke novels could not be banned as they are protected under the right of free speech.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
tv. & in. to flatter someone; to soothe and comfort someone. She “strokes” everybody to keep them on her side during the bad times.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
- a stroke of luck
- arrive (somewhere) (up)on the stroke of (some time)
- arrive (somewhere) at the stroke of (some time)
- arrive on the stroke of some time
- at a (single) stroke
- at a/one stroke
- at one stroke
- at the stroke of (some specific time)
- be in the short strokes
- broad (brush) strokes
- broad strokes
- different strokes
- different strokes (for different folks)
- different strokes for different folks
- down to the short strokes
- finishing touch
- have a stroke
- in broad (brush) strokes
- little strokes fell great oaks
- no accounting for tastes, there is no
- no accounting for tastes, there's
- not do a stroke
- not do a stroke (of work)
- not do a stroke of work
- on the stroke of (some specific time)
- on/at the stroke of eight, midnight, etc.
- put (one) off (one's) stride
- put (one) off (one's) stroke
- put one off one's stride
- put somebody off their stride/stroke
- put someone off their stroke
- short strokes
- stroke (one) the wrong way
- stroke (one's) ego
- stroke ego
- stroke it
- stroke of business
- stroke of fortune
- stroke of genius
- stroke of genius, a
- stroke of luck
- stroke of work
- stroke someone the wrong way
- with broad strokes