Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus.
to remove one's clothing. The doctor told Joe to strip down for his examination. Joe stripped down for the examination.
1. To reduce something to essential or minimal features: The director decided to strip down the production in order to reduce costs. If you strip them down to their bare essentials, most religions really believe the same things.
2. To remove one's clothing: I stripped down and stepped into the shower.
3. strip down to To remove layers of one's clothing until only some clothing remains: The models stripped down to their underwear for the photo shoot.
4. To remove someone's clothing: The babysitter stripped down the kids and drew the bath water. Airport security guards are authorized to detain suspicious individuals and strip them down for searching.
5. strip down to To remove layers of someone's clothing until only some clothing remains: I stripped the children down to their swimsuits so they could play in the water.