1. Literally, to discover gold, as in a gold mine. All it takes for a gold rush is for one prospector to strike gold.
2. To discover a source of wealth or success. The term sometimes implies that it was discovered by chance or luck. Tara and Patti really struck gold when they developed an app that went viral. We struck gold when we hired Ken. He brings in more money that our other three salespeople combined.
3. To win a gold medal in a competition, typically an athletic contest. Michael Phelps has struck gold more than any other olympian in history.
1. If you strike gold, you become very rich or successful by finding or doing something. A California nurse has struck gold on a slot machine. Hitting the jackpot, she suddenly found herself 9.3 million dollars richer. The company has struck gold with its new holiday development.
2. If you strike gold, you win a gold medal in a competition. Mason struck gold in the vault, with Reeder taking the bronze, her third medal of the games.