stretch(redirected from stretching)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. n. a period of time. (Folksy.) Let’s talk here for a stretch and then go up and see if dinner’s ready.
2. n. a prison term. I was away for a stretch of about seven years.
3. in. to hang (as with a death sentence). You will stretch for this, Lefty!
4. tv. to cut or dilute a drug. Let’s stretch this stuff, sell it, and then blow town.
5. n. a nickname for a tall person, usually male. (Usually Stretch.) Well, stretch, think you’ll go out for basketball this season?
- a bit of a stretch
- at a stretch
- at full stretch
- bend/stretch the rules
- by any stretch
- by any stretch of the imagination
- by no stretch
- by no stretch of the imagination
- from the stretch
- in the home stretch
- in the stretch
- make (one's) money stretch
- not by any stretch of the imagination
- on the home straight
- on the home straight/stretch
- on the home stretch
- stretch (one's) legs
- stretch (one's) legs according to the coverlet
- stretch a point
- stretch a/the point
- stretch away
- stretch away from (someone or something)
- stretch away to
- stretch away to (someone or something)
- stretch forth
- stretch it
- stretch legs
- stretch money
- stretch one’s legs
- stretch one's legs
- stretch one's legs, to
- stretch out
- stretch out to
- stretch out to (someone, something, or some place)
- stretch the rules
- stretch the truth
- stretch your arm no further than your sleeve (will reach)
- stretch your arm no further than your sleeve will reach
- stretch your legs
- the home stretch