stand over(redirected from stood over me)
1. To be much taller than someone or something else. The office building stands ominously over the rest of the town. My boyfriend stands over me, but neither of us really minds the height difference.
2. To monitor or supervise someone or something very attentively. The manager has been standing over our project every step of the way. I really wish you wouldn't stand over me like that—it makes it hard to concentrate.
3. To support or approve of something. If you can't stand over your own work, do you think anyone's going to take it seriously?
4. To delay or postpone something to a later date or time. We're going around in circles with this topic. Let's just stand over it and come back to it during next week's discussion.
stand over someone or something
to hover over someone or something; to monitor or keep close watch on someone or something. Please don't stand over me while I work! Dave stood over the machine, making sure it did what it was supposed to do.
1. Watch or supervise closely, as in I hate to cook when you're standing over me. [First half of 1300s]
2. Postpone, as in We'll have to let this budget item stand over till next year. [Early 1800s]
1. To stand adjacent to and look down on someone or something: She stood over the chess board, contemplating her next move. He stood over the injured patients until help arrived.
2. To rise above someone or something: Big Ben stands over the Thames in London.
3. To watch or supervise someone or something closely: My boss is always standing over me.
4. To postpone something: We were tired of talking about the matter, so we stood it over until the following meeting.