Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
can't stomach (someone)
Unable to tolerate someone due to an aversion or a strong sense of disgust or dislike for them. Ugh, I just can't stomach obnoxious guys who always have to dominate the conversation. He eventually quit because he just couldn't stomach his horrible boss any longer.
See also: stomach
can't stomach (something)
1. Physically unable to digest or tolerate a certain food without discomfort. I love living in India, but I can't stomach spicy food and it makes mealtimes here rather difficult. I'm can't stomach rich, fatty foods like I did when I was younger.
2. Unable to tolerate someone or something due to an aversion or a strong sense of disgust or dislike. I'm waiting to hear if I got into my first-choice school, but I can't this stomach the uncertainty of not knowing! I could never be a doctor or nurse—I just can't stomach the sight of blood.
3. Lacking the courage, determination, or resolve to do, face, or experience something unpleasant. The military always sounded interesting as a means of traveling the world, but couldn't stomach the thought of having to kill. I just can't stomach scary movies at all, but my girlfriend loves them.
See also: stomach
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
tv. to tolerate someone or something. (Usually negative.) Spike couldn’t stomach the opera, and he left after the first ten minutes.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
- (one's) eyes are bigger than (one's) stomach
- (one's) stomach is in knots
- a strong stomach
- an army marches on its stomach
- butterflies in (one's) stomach
- butterflies in one's stomach
- butterflies in stomach
- butterflies in your stomach
- can't stand
- can't stomach (someone)
- can't stomach (something)
- cast-iron stomach
- eyes are bigger than one's stomach, one's
- feel sick to (one's) stomach
- get butterflies in (one's) stomach
- get sick
- have a strong stomach
- have butterflies in (one's) stomach
- have butterflies in your stomach
- have eyes bigger than (one's) stomach
- have eyes bigger than your stomach
- have no stomach for (something)
- have no stomach for something
- have the stomach for
- no stomach for, have
- not able to stomach
- not able to stomach (something)
- not have the stomach for (something)
- not have the stomach for something
- on a full stomach
- on an empty stomach
- one's eyes are bigger than stomach
- pit of stomach
- pump (one's) stomach
- pump somebody's stomach
- settle (one's) stomach
- settle stomach
- sick to (one's) stomach
- sick to one's stomach
- sick to your stomach
- sit heavy on the stomach
- sit on the stomach
- someone's eyes are bigger than their belly
- sour stomach
- strong stomach
- the pit of (one's) stomach
- the pit of the stomach
- the pit of your stomach
- the pit of your/the stomach
- the way to a man's heart is through his stomach
- travel on a full/empty stomach
- turn (one's) stomach
- turn one's stomach
- turn somebody's stomach
- turn someone's stomach
- turn stomach
- turn your stomach
- way to a man's heart is through his stomach
- your eyes are bigger than your stomach