Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. noun, slang A great fuss or ruckus; a lot of trouble. Used especially in the phrase "make/raise a stink" or similar variations. My mom raised a stink when the store refused to accept her return without a receipt. One of the customers is making a stink about the service charge we included on his bill.
2. noun, slang Something scandalous, controversial, or especially unpleasant. The stink of his association with the corrupt company continues to follow him to this day. He knew it was just a matter of time before the stink surrounding him caught the attention of the authorities.
3. verb, slang To be especially bad, abhorrent, or inferior in quality. Your plan stinks, Tom! There's no way it would work! The timing of this audit just really stinks. The first film was an overlooked classic, but the two sequels both stink.
4. verb, slang To be or seem extremely disreputable, suspicious, or corrupt. This deal between the company and the mayor's office stinks, if you ask me. I'd be willing to bet that someone's pocket is being lined. This city stank to high heaven before I came in and brought some law and order to it.
1. in. to be repellent; to be suspicious and poorly planned. (Of schemes and plots.) This whole setup stinks.
2. n. a commotion. (see also raise a stink (about someone/something).) The stink you made about money has done no good at all. You’re fired.
See stinking drunk
1. Go to stinking (drunk).
2. mod. lousy; rotten. That was a mean stinking thing to do. Really stinking!
- all options stink
- big stink
- create a stink
- give (someone) the stink eye
- holy stink
- kick up a stink
- kick up/make/create/raise a stink
- like stink
- like stink on a monkey/skunk/pig/etc.
- make a stink
- make a stink (about something)
- make a stink about someone/something
- raise a stink
- raise a stink (about something)
- raise a stink about someone/something
- smell up
- smell/stink to high heaven
- stink of (something)
- stink on ice
- stink to high heaven
- stink up
- stink with
- stink with (something)
- the stink eye