stiff(redirected from stiffness)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to stiffness: Joint stiffness
1. and stiffed mod. alcohol intoxicated; dead drunk. She knows how to stop drinking before she gets stiff.
2. n. a drunkard. Some stiff staggered by—belching clouds of some beery smell. The guy’s a stiff, and you want to run him for mayor? Even in this town that’s going too far.
3. mod. dead. (Originally underworld.) He’s stiff. There’s nothing that can be done.
4. n. a corpse. (Underworld.) They pulled another stiff out of the river last night. Looks like another mob killing.
5. n. a fellow worker; a fellow tramp. (Originally hobos.) This stiff wants some help finding a flop for the night.
6. tv. to fail to tip someone who expects it. Ya know, you can tell right away when a guy’s gonna stiff you—ya just know. I guess I get stiffed two, three times a day.
7. tv. to cheat someone. The clown selling hot dogs stiffed me for about forty cents.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
- (as) stiff as a board
- (as) stiff as a poker
- (as) stiff as a ramrod
- a stiff drink
- a stiff upper lip
- be (as) stiff as a board
- be as stiff as a ramrod
- bore (one) stiff
- bore stiff
- bore to death
- bored silly
- bored stiff
- get stiffed, to
- keep a stiff upper lip
- keep a stiff upper lip, to
- scare (one) stiff
- scare out of one's wits
- scare stiff
- scared silly/stiff/to death, to be
- scared stiff
- stiff as a board
- stiff as a poker
- stiff cheddar
- stiff cheese
- working stiff