steel (someone or oneself) for (something)(redirected from steel us for)
steel (someone or oneself) for (something)
To cause someone or oneself to be mentally and emotionally prepared for and hardened against some difficult or unpleasant task, situation, outcome, etc. As horrible as the prospect may be, we all must steel ourselves for war. I know I'm tough on you, but I'm trying to steel you for the challenges you'll face later in life.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
steel oneself for someone or something
to prepare oneself for someone or something difficult or unpleasant; to get ready to face someone or something. Aunt Helen is coming for a visit. We should steel ourselves for her. I think something is going wrong. We had better steel ourselves for a shock.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
- for (one's) (own) sake
- for sake
- keep (someone or something) in sight
- keep in sight
- keep sight of
- keep sight of (someone or something)
- keep sight of somebody/something
- leave (someone, something, or oneself) (wide) open for (something)
- leave oneself wide open for
- leave (someone, something, or oneself) (wide) open to (something)