stay at (something or some place)(redirected from stayed at me)
stay at (something or some place)
1. To remain at some location. Please stay at the train station—I'll come pick you up. Tom's going to stay at the London office and make sure everything keeps running smoothly there.
2. To reside temporarily in some accommodation or lodging. I hate staying at these dingy motels, but it's all I can afford at the moment. They're staying at my sister's apartment while they're in town.
3. To continue trying to do or achieve something, especially after initial failures or setbacks. Often used an imperative, especially in the phrase "stay at it." If you really want to become a comic book artist, you have to stay at it! You can't just give up after your first rejection. I'm really motivated to stay at the writing now that I've had a bit of positive feedback.
See also: stay
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
stay at something
to keep working at something. You should stay at something until you finish it. she couldn't seem to stay at her place of work for a whole day.
See also: stay
stay at some place
1. to remain at a place. Have you ever tried to make a cat stay at one place? Please stay at home until I call you.
2. to live at a place temporarily. I am staying at the Statler Hotel. At what hotel are you staying while you are in town?
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.