Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
stay out(of something)
1. Lit. to keep out of something or some place. stay out of here! Please stay out until we are ready.
2. Fig. to remain uninvolved in some piece of business. I decided to stay out of it and let someone else handle it. My help wasn't needed there, so I just stayed out.
1. To remain in an external place: You'll catch my cold, so please stay out! Stay out of the cookie jar!
2. To remain outside the home, taking part in social activities: I stayed out much too late last night.
3. stay out of To refrain from becoming involved in something: Stay out of my life—it's none of your business who my friends are! My mother warned me to stay out of trouble.