start from (something)
1. Of a journey, path, route, etc., to begin at some particular point or location. The hike starts from the campsite and will take you all the way to the peak of the mountain. Starting from Oviedo, the Camino Primitivo is the oldest route of the Camino de Santiago.
2. To originate from some particular condition or status. I started from nothing, without a penny to my name. Now look at me—one of the wealthiest women in the country! Our company started from a desire to help people in need.
3. To begin undertaking some journey from a particular point or location. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "start" and "from." We're going to start the hike from Los Angeles and travel all the way across the United States to New York City. The river boat will start from the port city and wind its way along the Amazon into the heart of the jungle.
4. To begin undertaking some project or endeavor from a particular point, condition, or status. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "start" and "from." My computer crashed and wiped out my entire dissertation, so now I've got to start again from scratch! We had to start the investigation from a few scraps of paper left behind by the victim.
5. To begin reciting a text, performing a routine, or playing a media recording from some particular point. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "start" and "from" to specify the action being taken or the media being performed. Will you please read for us today, Tom? You can start from where we left off yesterday. That was much better, but the play still needs a bit of work. Let's start from part where Janet's character enters the tavern. He started the movie from the beginning of the most controversial scene.
See also: start
start fromsome place
1. [for someone] to begin a journey at some place. (The emphasis is on the location of the start of the journey.) We started from California. Where will you start from;'
2. [for a journey] to begin from a particular point. The journey started from Chicago. Our trip started from the airport in New York.
See also: start