stain(redirected from stainable)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to stainable: sustainable
1. vulgar slang Literally, a mark left by excrement. We need to rip up these carpets—they're covered in shit stains from grandpa's dog. His underpants had a disgusting shitstain on them.
2. rude slang A despicable, contemptible, worthless, or inconsequential person. Sometimes written as a single word. Don't listen to a fool like him, he's just a shit stain. I'll never understand why they hired a shitstain like him to run the company. Go ahead and sue us. There's no way a little shit stain like you can beat our company in court.
stain (something) with (something)
1. Literally, to permanently ruin or alter the color of something with the application, introduction, or interaction of some substance. I swear to God—if you stain that sofa with chocolate, you will be grounded for a week! We'll need to stain the wooded decking outside with lacquer before it rains.
2. To tarnish, besmirch, or sully something due to some action, situation, occurrence, etc. She stained her bright political career with the financial scandal. My reputation has been stained with the vile calumnies of my enemies.
See also: stain
stain something with something
1. to cause a blemish or blotch on something with something. (Usually an accident.) Judy stained the carpet with some grape juice. You will stain your clothing with that food if you drop any of it.
2. to affect the coloring of something through the use of a chemical stain. (A purposeful act, much the same as painting.) Walter stained the house with a long-lasting reddish stain. We decided to stain the doors with a special varnish rather than paint them.
3. Fig. to injure or blemish someone's reputation. They stained his reputation with their charges. I don't want to do anything that would stain my reputation.
See also: stain