Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
put the squeeze on (one)
1. To pressure one to do something. We need to put the squeeze on those guys so that they finally pay their debt to us.
2. To create challenges or problems for one. The way house prices have been climbing in this neighborhood is really putting the squeeze on first-time buyers.
1. slang One's romantic partner, especially in a new relationship; one's sweetheart. Have you met Jennifer's new squeeze? He's quite the hunk! Leia is his main squeeze—they've been dating for a few months now.
2. dated slang An alcoholic drink made by straining Sterno (a brand of jellied denatured alcohol used as a portable cooking fuel) through a cheesecloth or similar loose-woven fabric and mixing the result with juice. The homeless man had to be hospitalized after suffering the poisonous effects of drinking squeeze.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. n. liquor. (see also grape(s).) Let’s stop on the way and get some squeeze.
2. tv. to put pressure on someone. The mob began to squeeze Bart for money.
3. n. a tight situation; a situation where pressure is felt. When the squeeze is over, we’ll be able to get squared away.
4. n. one’s lover. (see also main squeeze.) I’ll see if my squeeze wants to go.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
- (one's)/the main squeeze
- a tight squeeze
- be (one's)/the main squeeze
- budget squeeze
- fit a quart into a pint pot
- main squeeze
- put the arm on (one)
- put the bite on (one)
- put the heat on
- put the screws on someone
- put the squeeze on
- put the squeeze on (one)
- put the squeeze on somebody
- put the squeeze on someone
- put the squeeze on someone/something
- someone's main squeeze
- squeeze (one) dry
- squeeze (someone or something) until the pips squeak
- squeeze (something) from (someone or something)
- squeeze (something) out of (someone or something)
- squeeze an orange
- squeeze by
- squeeze from
- squeeze in
- squeeze into
- squeeze into (something)
- squeeze off
- squeeze out
- squeeze out (of something)
- squeeze out of
- squeeze play
- squeeze somebody dry
- squeeze someone until the pips squeak
- squeeze through
- squeeze together
- squeeze up
- squeeze up against
- squeeze up against (someone or something)
- tight squeeze
- turn up the heat on
- you can't squeeze blood from a stone
- you can't squeeze blood from a turnip