Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to squawk: squawk ident
1. verb, slang To complain in a loud, grating, peevish manner. What's he squawking about?
2. noun, slang Such a complaint. As a waiter, I eventually just got used to the squawks of impatient customers.
squawk about (someone or something)
1. To talk about something in a loud, grating, obnoxious manner. He's spent the last half an hour squawking about the new girl he's dating. A: "What's Mary squawking about now?" B: "Oh, she's off on some long-winded explanation of postmodernism."
2. To complain about something in a loud, grating, peevish manner. If I have to listen to him squawk about the election for the next hour, I'm going to scream.
See also: squawk
An always-on multi-speaker telecommunication system in which speakers located in multiple locations allow the people there to communicate directly by simply pressing a button. The squawk boxes in the warehouse allows the foreman to issue instructions to everyone at the same time. We use squawk boxes in our brokerage firm to pass important information about upcoming stock trades on the fly.
squawk about something
to complain about something. stop squawking about how much money you lost. I lost twice as much. What are you squawking about now?
See also: squawk
1. in. to complain. Some people squawk because they don’t have anything else to do.
2. n. a complaint. Here’s another squawk from the lady on the third floor.
3. tv. & in. to reveal or blab something. She squawked the whole business to the fuzz.
n. a public-address system; a loudspeaker, especially if installed in a box or other housing. A raspy voice came over the squawk box announcing the arrival of what we had been waiting for.