spin round(redirected from spun us round)
1. To rotate. The Earth spins round on a vertical axis, which is what gives us our nights and days. The car began spinning round in the parking lot, leaving circles of tire tracks on the pavement.
2. To cause someone or something to turn around in circles. A noun or pronoun can be used between "spin" and "round." I'll put this blindfold on you and spin you round, and then you try to hit the piñata with this stick. He spun the dial round until the tumblers of the lock clicked into place.
3. To revolve (around something). The Earth spins round the Sun, which is what gives us our seasons.
4. To turn rapidly around to face the opposite direction. I spun round when I thought I heard my name. The police car spun round and began pursuing the van that ran the red light.
5. To cause someone or something to turn rapidly around in the opposite direction. A noun or pronoun can be used between "spin" and "around." She had to spin the motorboat round and start heading back to shore. I spun him round and marched him right back out of the house.
6. To visit some place for a brief period of time or for a particular purpose. I need to spin round to the office to pick up some paperwork. Why don't you spin round on Saturday to have dinner with me and Melissa?
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.