spare somebody's feelings
spare (one's) feelings
To restrain from doing something that might cause someone embarrassment, discomfort, or anxiety. The teacher decided to spare my feelings and didn't tell the class who scored the lowest mark on the test. Instead of saying I didn't like her personality, I tried to spare her feelings and said that I wasn't really ready to start dating again yet.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
spare somebody’s ˈfeelingsbe careful to avoid offending or upsetting somebody: Eric got no votes at all, but we didn’t tell him because we wanted to spare his feelings. ♢ She didn’t spare my feelings at all — she told me exactly why she didn’t like me.
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017
- spare (one's) feelings
- hold (someone or something) in check
- keep/hold somebody/something in check
- pin (someone or something) under (someone or something)
- pin under
- rein in
- pin (someone or something) underneath (someone or something)
- pin beneath
- pin (someone or something) beneath (someone or something)