spam(redirected from spammer)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. noun Unsolicited messages, typically advertisements, sent indiscriminately through email or text messages to large mailing lists. A: "The amount of spam I get each day is ridiculous." B: "You need to stop giving your email address to every website that asks for it!" Our antivirus software suite includes an advanced spam filter for your emails and text messages.
2. verb To send such unsolicited email or text messages. I always use a fake email address when I have to create online accounts so that my real email address doesn't get spammed. While we require your contact information in order to process your request, we promise never to spam you with any information you haven't specifically authorized us to send.
3. verb By extension, to send a large number of emails, text messages, or other similar notifications within a short amount of time, especially about the same topic. Sorry for spamming you with so many message today, but I kept thinking of extra details we should include in the report. He keeps spamming me with texts saying how much he loves me, and I don't have the heart to tell him I don't feel the same way.
4. verb In video games, to repeat the same in-game action multiple times frequently or continuously in order to achieve a particular outcome. They don't clearly mark what you can interact with, so you just walk around spamming the action button everywhere. Eventually my magic was so strong that every fight just devolved into me spamming my fireball attack again and again.
1. n. something disliked, typically, but not necessarily, food. (From the brand name of a canned meat product.) I can’t eat this “spam.” It could be spoiled.
2. n. one or a series of uninvited email messages advertising money-making schemes, pornography, or sales of any kind. If I don’t recognize the sender, I assume the message is spam and I delete it.
3. tv. to clutter or fill someone’s email account with spam (sense 2). Some jerk is spamming me with an advertisement for dirty pictures.