(You) wanna make something of it?
A threat to fight or argue about something, usually something that should be minor or easy to overlook. ("Wanna" is a colloquial contraction of "want to." "Something" is often shortened to "somethin'," or, more colloquially, "sumpin'.") A: "Yeah? You wanna make something of it?" B: "No, I'm sorry, I simply wasn't thinking when I said that about your marriage. That's all." A: "I heard yer daddy got fired fer drinkin' on the job again." B: "That's right. Wanna make sumpin' of it? Cuz I'd be more'n happy to wipe that smug grin off yer face!"
1. To cut something off of something else. A noun or pronoun can be used between "chop" and "off." We had to chop off that branch because it was in danger of falling on our house. I decided to chop my hair off because I needed a change in my life.
2. To stop someone abruptly while they are talking. A noun or pronoun can be used between "chop" and "off." I had to chop him off because his boring story was putting me to sleep.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
chop someone off
Fig. to stop someone in the middle of a sentence or speech. (Abruptly, as if actually chopping or cutting.) I'm not finished. Don't chop me off! The moderator chopped off the speaker.
chop something off (of) somethingand chop something off
to cut something off something, as with an axe or saw. (Of is usually retained before pronouns.) We chopped the dead branches off the tree. You should chop off the other branch.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
To cut something short by or as if by chopping; curtail something: The barber chopped my ponytail off. The butcher chopped off a hunk of meat for me.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- (you) wanna make something of it?
- (do) (you) want to make something of it?
- a straw will show which way the wind blows
- all for the best
- (you've) got to get up pretty early in the morning to (do something)
- a/the feel of (something)
- (I) wouldn't (do something) if I were you
- a horse of another
- a horse of another color
- a horse of another colour