Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to soft: Soft skills
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
1. slang Foolish; dimwitted or simple-minded. Used especially in the phrase "soft in the head." Tommy's a good kid, but he's a little soft in the head, don't you think?
2. slang Not containing alcohol. We've got beers for the adults and plenty of soft drinks for the kids.
3. slang Of drugs, not especially dangerous and addictive. I experimented with soft drugs during college, like weed or magic mushrooms. But I made sure never to go near the hard stuff, like coke or heroin.
4. slang Not difficult or demanding. It's a pretty soft job, overall. You just monitor the computer throughout the day and type in the necessary codes when you're prompted. I've worked in manual labor my whole life. I'd kill for a soft job behind a desk like that!
5. slang Overly lenient, easily manipulated, or apathetic; lacking strength or determination. You used to be the toughest sheriff this town has ever had, but you've gone soft in your old age. The new boss is totally soft. It should be easy to convince him we need extra development time.
6. slang Of a penis, not erect. He started fooling around with Sally in the back of the car, but the fear of getting caught made him go totally soft.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. mod. alcohol intoxicated. After a few hours at the party, it appeared that most people were getting soft.
2. mod. having to do with nonaddictive drugs. (Compare this with hard.) The “soft stuff” just leads to really bad stuff.
3. mod. stupid. The guy’s soft in the head. He just can’t think straight.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
- (as) soft as a baby's backside
- (as) soft as a baby's bottom
- (as) soft as down
- (as) soft as silk
- (as) soft as velvet
- a clean conscience makes a soft pillow
- a hard head makes a soft behind
- a soft answer turneth away wrath
- a soft answer turns away wrath
- a soft berth
- a soft option
- a soft spot
- a soft touch
- a soft/an easy touch
- an easy touch
- be a soft touch
- be a soft touch for (someone or something)
- be soft in the head
- be soft on (someone)
- be/go soft in the head
- go soft
- go soft in the head
- go soft on (someone)
- hard sell
- have a soft spot for
- have a soft spot for (someone or something)
- have a soft spot for or an animal
- have a soft spot for somebody/something
- have a soft spot for someone/something
- soft answer turneth away wrath
- soft as a baby's bottom
- soft berth
- soft core
- soft fire makes sweet malt
- soft in the head
- soft job
- soft life
- soft mick
- soft money
- soft on
- soft on (someone or something)
- soft on someone
- soft on someone or something
- soft option
- soft pedal
- soft pedal something
- soft power
- soft reboot
- soft sawder
- soft sell
- soft shoe
- soft shoulder
- soft soap
- soft spot
- soft touch
- soft touch, a
- soft underbelly
- soft-pedal (something)
- the soft option
- the soft/easy option
- walk soft