Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Wikipedia.
Related to snot: Nasal mucus
(as) slick as snot
slang Very slippery. Be careful out there—ice has made the steps slick as snot. A: "Yeah, I polished the floor this morning. Why?" B: "It's slick as snot now, that's why!" The pouring rain made the highway slick as snot.
blow a snot rocket
To expel mucus from just one nostril by blocking the other one. Ew, that's so gross—quit blowing snot rockets!
slicker than snot on a doorknob
slang Very slippery. Be careful out there—ice has made the steps slicker than snot on a doorknob.
1. noun Nasal mucus. Yuck, don't wipe your snot on your sleeve like that. Use a tissue!
2. noun An insolent or contemptible person. Listen here, you little snot, I'm the one in charge of this operation, not you!
3. verb To produce large amounts of nasal mucus, as when one cries profusely. He just sat there snotting all over himself when I told him I wanted to break up. Just sobbed and snotted like a toddler at the end of the tragic movie.
To slip, trip, stumble, or otherwise fall to the ground, especially in a clumsy or embarrassing manner. I hit a patch of ice on my bike and ended up snotting myself on the pavement. Luckily no one was around to see. I cringed so hard when the bride snotted herself coming down the aisle.
See also: snot
slang A derogatory or dismissive term for a young child or infant. Why don't you leave the snotnose with your parents so we can go have a meal to ourselves for once? A: "Who's the snotnose?" B: "It's just my little brother. My mom made me bring him along."
1. An adolescent or child, especially one who is troublesome or burdensome. There's a bunch of snotnosed kids throwing eggs at houses around the neighborhood. A: "My mom is making me bring my little brother with us to the mall." B: "Ah, geez, I don't want some snotnose kid hanging around us all day!"
2. A younger person who is inexperienced or naïve yet also arrogant, brash, or haughty. I've been working at this company for 20 years. I don't need some snotnosed kid coming in and telling me how to do my job! What makes you think you could run this company any better? You're nothing but a snotnose kid!
See also: kid
1. Arrogant and snobbish. I was already bored, but now that we have a snot-nosed tour guide, I'm leaving. Did you hear how judgmental he was about our choice of wine? What a snot-nosed jerk.
2. Young and inexperienced. I've been in this job 20 years, and now some snot-nosed kid right out of college is going to tell me what to do? No way!
slang A handkerchief, especially one that is kept in one's pocket primarily to wipe or blow one's nose. I always thought it was so disgusting carrying a snotrag around with you. Like, why would you put a rag full of mucous back in your pocket? I handed him my snotrag so he could wipe the tears from his eyes.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
Inf. a young child; a relatively young person. (Derogatory. Potentially offensive. Use only with discretion.) Some little snotnose swiped my wallet. A little snotnosed kid came in and asked for money.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
blow snot rocketsand blow a snot rocket
tv. to blow gobs of nasal mucus from one nostril at a time by blocking off the other nostril with a thumb. Bob is always blowing snot rockets! How crude! He tried to blow a snot rocket at the dog, but it kept right on barking.
blow a snot rocketverb
1. n. nasal mucus. (Crude.) He sneezed and got snot all over the newspaper.
2. n. a nasty person; an obnoxious person. (Rude and derogatory.) You needn’t be such a snot about it.
See snotnosed kid
n. a handkerchief. (Usually objectionable.) Don’t you carry a snotrag?
mod. very drunk. Wilbur gets totally snotted almost every night.
See also: snot
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.