snooze(redirected from snoozed)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus.
Related to snoozed: dozing
catch a snooze
To sleep or take a nap, especially of a short duration. I prefer getting the bus to work in the morning rather than driving, because it gives me a chance to catch a snooze on the way.
you snooze, you lose
If you wait too long to do something, that opportunity might become unavailable. The phrase can be used as a warning for events to come, or to describe past things that one has already missed. Come on, we have to get to the bakery early, before all the donuts are sold out! You snooze, you lose! A: "Aw man, I can't believe I missed the chance to meet my favorite author." B: "Well, you snooze, you lose."
See also: lose
1. Some event or situation in which people spend a lot of time sleeping. My son is having some friends over for the night. They're always really rowdy until the early hours, but then it's usually a snoozefest the whole next day.
2. Some event or situation that causes one to fall asleep because it is so boring or unstimulating. This director's work is usually really interesting, but I found his latest film to be a total snoozefest.
you snooze, you loseAMERICAN, INFORMAL
People say you snooze, you lose to mean that if you do not pay attention, you will miss a good opportunity. Do your shopping now while there are good deals: remember, you snooze, you lose.
See also: lose
1. in. to sleep; to take a little nap. I snoozed a little bit before the party.
2. n. a little nap. Why not go up and take a little snooze?
3. n. something that is boring enough to put someone to sleep. The play was a snooze. I left before it was over.