Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. slang Sprayed with the foul-smelling liquid of a skunk. A: "Phew, what is that awful smell?" B: "I think the dog got skunked!"
2. slang Very drunk. We were all too skunked to notice that Jackson had left the party. My dad used to spend nearly every night getting skunked at the local bar when we were kids, so I grew up with a strong dislike for alcohol.
3. slang Of beer, having a distinctive musty taste or smell as a result of exposure to ultraviolet light. Make sure you keep those clear bottles of beer in a dark place. You don't want them to get skunked! A: "Does this beer taste skunked to you?" B: "Nah, it's just hoppy."
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. mod. alcohol intoxicated. He was so skunked he couldn’t find his house.
2. mod. outwitted; outscored; defeated. The home team skunked the visitors for the third year in a row.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.